If you have any questions, please contact our webmaster.
The Assistant Medical Officer (AMO) provides services through the use of competent knowledge and skills in rendering curative, promotive, preventive and rehabilitative services at suitable levels under the supervision of the Medical Officer.
AMO provides the following health services:
- Primary and emergency treatment at health clinics, outpatient clinics, wards, casualty and emergency department at hospitals
- Conduct preliminary check up on patients who need treatment
- Examine, diagnose and treat minor illness
- Provide counseling/health education to patients and local communities
- Give initial treatment in emergency cases
At specific level, the AMO provides services to various specialist departments and programs such as the orthopedic department, General Surgery Department, Anesthetic and Intensive Care Unit, Department of Urology, Neurology and other departments and units in government or private hospitals.
The duration of Diploma in Medical Assistant training is 3 years (6 semesters). 3 1/2 semesters are allocated for theory and practical studies, and 2 1/2 semesters are for clinical practice in hospitals and health clinics.
- Malaysia Studies
- English I
- Behavioral Science
- Patient Communication
- Nursing Science I
- Anatomy and Physiology I
- Anatomy and Physiology II
- Medical Microbiology (Microbiology and Parasitology)
- Bioscience Medicine (Clinical Biochemistry and Clinical Pathology)
- Self Development
- English II
- Basic Surgical I
- Clinical Pharmacology I
- Basic Medical I
- Nursing Science II
- Emergency Medicine I
- Community Health Sciences II
- Basic Computers (Introduction)
- Social and Preventive Medicine
Passed SPM / SPMV with 5 credits inclusive of:
Mathematics OR Additional Mathematics
Chemistry OR Biology OR Science
Any other 2 subjects
Obtained a pass in English
Obtained a pass in History
Physically healthy and free from any serious genetic diseases
Free from serious handicap or defective senses
Prospects after completing the course when working in the GOVERNMENT SECTOR.
- Worked as Assistant Medical Officer, under the Scheme Medical Assistant, Grade U29, Ministry of Health or by
- Served as Assistant Medical Officer at the Agency Statutory Bodies such as the University Hospital, University
Clinic, Faculty of Medicine;
- Opportunities for advanced courses (specialization) within and outside the country under the sponsorship of the
Ministry of Health, Department of Civil Service or private institutions that offer grants sponsorship;
- Opportunities for promotion to Grade U32, Grade U36, Grade U38, U42 Grade, Grade U44, U48 Grade and Grade U52;
- Promotion to the Management and Professional level (with a degree) to U32 and above (provided with excellent
performance in their duties and evaluation), such as:
- Science Officer;
- Hospital Supervisor;
- Director of the hospital;
- Opportunity/chance to join the pilgrimage team to Mecca.
Prospects after completing the course when working in the PRIVATE SECTOR.
- Working in private hospitals in the area of: Accident and Emergency Department, Cardiology Unit, and
echocardiogram, Theatre, Perfusionest, Renal Unit;
- Oil companies;
- The opportunity to work outside the country such as in Saudi Arabia.